Pukawa Bay is a bay and a small township on the western shores of Lake Taupo in New Zealand. It is off State Highway 41 between Turangi and Taumarunui.
Pukawa lodge is located off SH41 ON PUKAWA ROAD.
Pukawa Bay is one of the most beautiful bays on Lake Taupo. It is completely private and has wonderful clear water. The beach of volcanic black sand means it is ideal for families and safe swimming. There are a couple of seating areas, an open space for sports and traffic is kept to a minimum.
This is the perfect base for fishing the Tongariro River, white water rafting, walking the Tongariro Crossing, skiing Mt Ruapehu, relaxing in the natural hot pools of Tokaanu or simply exploring the southern end of Lake Taupo.
The main village road takes you all the way to the boat ramp for easy access to the water. Essentially you need a car here, however there are lovely signposted walks through the native bush to neighbouring bays of Kuratau and Omori, where there
is a village shop and cafe.
The beach is great for swimming from, or taking out your boat, or kayak.
in the area
- 35 Minutes drive to the snow slopes of Whakapapa
- The hot pools of Tokaanu are 9 minutes away and the restaurants and supermarkets of Turangi are 12 minutes away
- The restaurant/bar/function centre “Oreti” is only a 3 minutes drive away
- The Kuratau vineyard and Omori store are also within 5 minutes drive for
great pizza, wine or coffee
- Taupo town centre is 45 minutes drive